This guide covers storage device troubleshooting within the Gemini appliance web interface.
There are three diagnostic methods:
- Gemini web interface
- Hardware diagnostics utilities
- Hard drive indicator patterns
Using the Gemini Web Interface
Open 'Diagnosis' > 'Hardware' in the web interface to view all the storage devices - the faulty HDD is presented as gray block. There is one storage device either faulty or disconnected on figure 1, and it need to be replaced. Please refer to “How To Replace” chapter for understanding about HDD replacement.
Using Hardware Diagnostics Utilities
After booting the Gemini appliance, the status of hard drive can be verified under Hardware Diagnostics Utilities.
- Reboot the appliance.
- Press F11 to enter Boot Manager, System Utilities, Launch Hardware Diagnostics - which is called ePSA. If a RAID configuration warning pops up, press any key to continue to Boot Manager.
- In ePSA, click Hard Drive option to test.
- Based on number (ex: Hardrive 1-1-0, Harddrive 1-1-1 etc..) to determine inside which slot is faulty. For example, if Harddrive 1-1-0 is missing or faulty, then HDD inside slot are to be replaced.
Hard-Drive Indicator Patterns
While unable to enter Gemini web, can inspect Hard-Drive Indicator physically.
- Hard-drive activity indicator (green)
- Hard-drive status indicator (green and amber)
Drive-Status Indicator Pattern
Blinks green two times per second> - Identifying drive or preparing for removal Off - Drive ready for insertion or removal
Blinks green, amber, and off - Predicted drive failure
Blinks amber four times per second - Drive failed
Blinks green slowly - Drive rebuilding
Steady green - Drive online
** Blinks green three seconds, amber three seconds, and off six seconds - Rebuild aborted
How to Replace
Storage Devices Specs
There are several kinds storage devices on Gemini, be sure to correctly choose HDDs for different Gemini models.
- A1000 - 1TB SATA 7.2k rpm
- A1100 - 300GB SATA 15k rpm
- A2000 - 900GB SATA 10k rpm
- A2100 - 300GB SATA 15k rpm
- A5000 - 900GB SATA 10k rpm
- A5100 - 300GB SATA 15k rpm
- A5200 - 300GB SATA 15k rpm
- S1000 - 1TB SATA 7.2k rpm
- F1000 - 1TB SATA 7.2k rpm
Remove and Replace a Hot-swap Hard Drive
- Prepare the hard drive for replacement.
- Press the release button to open the hard-drive carrier release handle.
- Slide the hard-drive carrier out until it is free of the hard-drive slot.
- Insert a hard-drive blank in the empty hard-drive slot.